Some Difficulties with DPKG(sourcetobinary)

When trying to build binary .deb packages from debian
sources I get the following warning:(the same with
gtkhtml3)

dpkg-deb: parse error in file `fltk-1.1.6/
/DEBIAN/control´
          near line 8
      missing package name

I did : dpkg-deb --build fltk-1.1.6/  ,after applying
the
        patch and changing the name of the directory
debian
        to DEBIAN(with debian ...no such file or
directory)

Now I don´t even know if this directly builds a binary
from sources.
(Or,if first,we need to do ./configure make and create
the binaries)
In rpm this simple command rpm -bb
/usr/src/rpm/SPECS/xxx.spec
builds a binary rpm from a source rpm.Some kind of a
Maximum DPKG
(regarding the free downloadable Maximum RPM book from
Red Hat),is
needed(Or is it out there and I don´t know?).

                        Thanks.