Re: Change initscripts rather than dpkg?

severity 254998 wishlist
retitle 254998 "[DPKG] place space before ellipsis to match initscript style"
thanks

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 11:42 +0100, Thomas Hood wrote:

> > Given "dpkg-style" predates policy by quite some time, I suggest
> > that it is Policy that should change, if anything.
>
> So you are taking the position that it is better to modify policy and
> scores of initscripts than it is to modify dpkg such that its output is
> harmonized with theirs?

Actually my position is that if harmonisation of output during
install/upgrade is to occur, it should be mandated by policy.  Not only
dpkg output is affected, but APT output and the output of any maintainer
script also.

Manoj has confirmed this section of policy does not apply to dpkg, or
indeed any other output produced through maintainer scripts.

Either policy should mandate an output format, or you'll have to file
bugs on every maintainer script that outputs messages with an ellipsis
and risk them being closed because the maintainer (correctly) doesn't
believe this is mandated by policy.

> Is this purely because dpkg is the more senior program, or is there some
> other hindrance to deleting the space before "..." in dpkg's output?

I think the time is better spent working on ways for front-ends to
suppress dpkg's output entirely, so neither message is seen.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?