Bug#293041: dpkg-dev should depend on real package gcc as preference over virtual package c-compiler.
- To: Debian Bug Tracking System <email@example.com>
- Subject: Bug#293041: dpkg-dev should depend on real package gcc as preference over virtual package c-compiler.
- From: Jonas Smedegaard <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:07:02 +0100
- Message-id: <20050131210702.5D02D341BA@localhost.localdomain>
- Reply-to: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Debian Policy section 7.4 says to prefer real packages over virtual ones.
I do not know how apt-get behaves but when aptitude is asked to install
dpkg-dev it pulls in bcc even if gcc is pulled in too for other reasons.
Aptitude probably could try harder at resolving dependencies to the
smallest possible set of packages, but it _is_ a bug of dpkg-dev to not
depend on a real package.
-- System Information:
Debian Release: 3.1
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: powerpc (ppc)
Kernel: Linux 2.6.8-powerpc
Locale: LANG=da_DK, LC_CTYPE=da_DK (charmap=ISO-8859-1)