`experimental patch for very much faster dpkg -R'

In August 1999 Richard Kettlewell proposed a patch to dpkg that made
dpkg -R much faster.  See:

I've been catching up on old mail, and see that the bug #43724, which
is a policy change which is associated with that code change to dpkg,
was (AFAICT erroneously) closed.

Was a change like that proposed by Richard actually made to dpkg ?  If
not, why not ?  IMO it should be.  If it was, or will be, then the
policy should be changed.

I can't seem to find the patch atm but I could probably dig it out and
refile the bug reports if it has gotten lost.  Please let me know what
to do.

Thanks,
Ian.