Re: Automatic package removal handling for apt

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:16:39PM +0200, Michael Hofmann wrote:
>
>> I implemented a solution for testing in apt, which goes as follows:
>>
>> dpkg needs to be patched to provide a additional field: Automatic-Remove. It can contain the values:
>> - "Manual" - this field is the default and is not written to /var/lib/dpkg/status, this is like before, manual handling
>> - "Required" - get uninstalled if the package is not required anymore, that means there are no more depends, but maybe suggests and recommends
>> - "Recommended" - get uninstalled if the package is not required or recommended anymore, but maybe suggests
>> - "Suggested" - get uninstalled if the package is not required, recommended and suggested anymore
>
> I think the consensus in the past has been that having package selection
> information (which is what this is) in the dpkg status file is a bug, and we
> shouldn't encourage it.
>
> This information should probably be confined to the apt layer.
>
> I haven't had a chance to review your patches yet...
>
> --
>  - mdz

I think it would be good to unify the automatic uninstall from
aptitude, debfoster and deborphan to use a common database. They are
just different frontends for the same problem.

If that means having an extra field in the status file then let it.

MfG
        Goswin