Missing Pidfile

What exactly does the --pidfile argument to start-stop-daemon do, in conjunction with the --start argument?

I thought that, with --start, --pidfile would create a pidfile, to be used by --stop, but it's not working. I can call start-stop-daemon with --pidfile and --start, but the pidfile isn't created.

The man page explains that --pidfile is to "Check whether a process has created the file pid-file." So, in conjunction with --start, is --pidfile used to check if a process is already running?

My daemon doesn't appear to be maintaining pid files. I did a quick search of the source for "pid", without success. Have you any advice in this area?

Thanks!

Jack