Re: are packages with diversions not downgradeable?

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 02:44 -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> As you can see, I ran into some problems when upgrading libxft-dev
> 2.1.2-5 (which used dpkg-divert) to libxft-dev 2.1.2-6 (which removes
> them), then downgrading to 2.1.2-5 and trying to re-upgrade to 2.1.2-6.
>
> Am I using diversions wrong?  Is this a bug in dpkg-divert?

dpkg 1.9 didn't rename files on dpkg-divert --remove unless --rename was
given, a mirror of the --add behaviour.

dpkg 1.10 unconditionally renames files, with no way to prevent it.

I guess what we need here is to either go back to the old behaviour, or
add a --no-rename option for preinst scripts.

I've tried both, and they seem to fix the problems for libxft-dev and
desktop-base.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?