/root/.dpkg.cfg

Why does dpkg use this file?

dpkg is a system program that is launched from the postinst of packages such
as kernel images.  IMHO it should not require access to the administrator's
home directory for correct and error-free operation.

Also any configuration of the way dpkg operates on behalf of the system should
be in a configuration file under /etc, therefore if it is necessary to make
some configuration changes it should be possible to change it for non-root
system processes.

In my SE Linux policy I am unwilling to grant the postinst scripts access to
the root home directory, this causes an error message such as the following
when installing a kernel image (but the result is still correct):

dpkg: failed to open configuration file `/root/.dpkg.cfg' for reading:
Permission denied