A touchy subject (install-info)

Hello Wichert and Adam,

I wish to close the rift between Debian and GNU Texinfo with regards to
install-info.  I believe that the two systems do not yet have
conflicting command-line arguments, so this should not be too bad.

	I have been talking to Karl Berry, GNU Texinfo's maintainer, and
he would be happy to accept patches that bring the features we require
in Debian's install-info into GNU install-info.

	It is my hope that we can deprecate Debian's install-info and
use GNU's.  I see that there are several advantages here:

1) We don't have to hack install-info whenever Texinfo adds new
   directory features.

2) We don't have to maintain a separate install-info, when someone else
   will do it for us.

3) We can close a lot of BTS bugs about install-info.  (31 open bugs.)

4) Other people will benefit from features in Debian install-info
   that are missing in GNU install-info.

	I am volunteering my time to make this happen, and will
submit my patches both to this list, and to bug-texinfo@gnu.org.  I hope
that we can co-operate on this matter, and I am willing to accept
constructive input from both sides.

Simon