exclsions (was Re: udebs for more than just installation)

Branden Robinson wrote:
> Well, I'll definitely bring this up to the other guys on my team.
>
> I am concerned about the possible consequences of such a feature though,
> since it will enable users to break the assumptions of postinst and
> prerm scripts.  Such scripts can generally assume that the "package has
> been unpacked" when they run.  But with a path pruning feature, some
> parts of the package may never be unpacked.
>
> For such a feature to really float is going to demand that people write
> their maintainer scripts a little bit differently.

Doogie was saying something on irc the other day about excludes already
being on the planned features list for 2.0.

Some of the issues around exclusions have already been anticipated, for
example policy allows for the deletion (or non-installation) of
/usr/share/doc and that may not break any packages. Existing hacks like
that package whose name I cannot remember that removed unwanted locales
also show this kind of thing can often be done with little trouble.

I guess once we have the capability we will want to add more such things
to policy for other common exclusions (/usr/share/locale comes to mind,
as well as info and man pages). As to some admin adding /sbin or
something to the exclusions, that is merely a case of more rope.

--
see shy jo