merging and retitling

retitle 108587 dpkg: a conffile that vanishes across an upgrade can fool dpkg
retitle 182021 dpkg: reappearing conffile that had vanished fools dpkg
reassign 182021
merge 108587 182021
thanks

Adam Heath and I have discussed this on IRC.

Quoting the logs of #182021:

  > /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/czsk is tagged as a configuration file, however it
  > contains a version string. Consequently, the user is prompted during
  > upgrade:
  [...]
  > Despite no changes having ever been made.

  That's not why you're being prompted.  You're being prompted because the
  file stopped being shipped as part of the package a while back, but now
  is being shipped again.  Vanishing conffiles are not deleted when a
  package is upgraded.  Therefore, dpkg thinks you're installing a new
  conffile on top of some non-packaged previously-existing version which
  you must have created.

  Dpkg is wrong, of course.

  Dpkg has no mechanism to handle conffiles disappearing across upgrades.

  > Is this just an implementation choice in dpkg, or is there
  > insufficient information in the existing .deb files to enable
  > dpkg to, say, remove unmodified configuration files when a
  > package is being deleted, even if it's not being purged?

  The latter.

  > (It is conceivable that someone, somewhere is depending upon
  > deletion-without-purging to leave even unmodified configuration
  > files intact, but I assume that the idea behind
  > deletion-without-purging is to preserve local _changes_, not
  > just local copies of a removed package's standard out-of-the-box
  > configuration.)

  There should probably be a prompt for disappearing conffiles, similar to
  the one that is used for changing conffiles.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Men use thought only to justify
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    their wrong doings, and speech only