Dpkg/Apt on LinuxFromScratch

Hi

I hope this is the right address to send this to, please let me know if
it isn't.

I'm in the process of setting up my own System from scratch based on the
LinuxFromScratch Documentation. I'd like however to use Apt/dpkg to deal with
the installation of packages. I don't really know a lot about APT,
except that when you type in apt-get install whatever, the package
magicly appears.

What packages does apt depend on? What packages would I need to install
before I could use the apt-get install rest_of_packages?

Thanks in advance

Rory