Re: Speed improvements

Previously Michal Kosek wrote:
> What are advantages of splitting it that way?  File with 'fluff' would
> be still big, and effective looking for information would need some
> indexing.  If we create status file for every package, filesystem will
> index it for us :)

Which means lots of wasted space on filesystems which don't have
support tail packing, ie most filesystems. Having a one or two single
files you can parse rapidly is also faster than having to parse hunderds
of small files.

> Could you also tell why dependencies information should be put
> somewhere else than rest?

Because most of the time you only need that information and don't want
to bother reading the rest.

> What do you think about grep-dctrl syntax?  Does it lack anything
> important?

Don't know, haven't looked at it yet.

Wichert.

--