Re: Processed: your mail

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 06:09:07PM +0200, wiggy wrote:
reassign 183209 debianutils
thanks

The fact that coreutils Replaces debianutil is irrelevant, since it is
debianutils that is doing the overwriting. Try putting a Replaces:
coreutils line in debianutils instead.

No, the coreutils is the new package doing the replacing. New
debianutils works fine with that. Old debianutils installed after new
coreutils screws things up. The way I read the rules on replacing, it
states that if an older version of a package replaced: by another
package is installed, the conflicting files should be discarded. That
doesn't seem to be happening, but all I've heard so far is advice to
have coreutils conflict with older debianutils (non-workable solution,
AFAIK, because both coreutils and debianutils are required) and that
dpkg is doing the right thing (even though it conflicts with the
documented behavior for replaces, AIUI.) This may just be a case where
we have to tell people, "don't do that", but I'd like a clarification of
why dpkg doesn't do what I thought it should do.

Mike Stone