Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 06:05:38PM +0200, Cyrille Chepelov wrote:
> Le Thu, Apr 10, 2003, à 03:33:39PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman a écrit:
>
> > That way you could do something like:
> >
> > # echo x86-64 >> /etc/dpkg/legal-archs
> > # dpkg -i libgtk2-2.0-1_i386.deb
> > # dpkg -i lib64gtk2-2.0-1_x8664.deb
>
> Will we have to also have lib64gtk2.0-dev? Wouldn't that have pretty bad
> inconvenient consequences on the build dependencies?

I'm not sure this is really a good approach.  Some concerns:
 - the names of all library packages would change on a 64-bit
   architecture; this is a hassle for library packagers
 - Would you have libgtk2-dev_2.0-1_x8664.deb or
   lib64gtk2_2.0-1_x8664.deb?

Hmm... thinking about it some more, basically every package you wanted
to treat this way would have to support building a package with
multiple names.  We could make this easier in dpkg probably.  And then
you would only install i386 packages if there wasn't an x86-64 package
with the same package name...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz