Re: Debian for x86-64 (AMD Opteron)

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 05:27:40PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 04:43:57PM +0200, Emile van Bergen wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:33:39PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> >
> > [SNIP]
> > > So basically, I don't think this is a very good idea. However I think we
> > > can solve it differently in a much simpler way:
> > >
> > > * modify dpkg (already planned) to allow it to install packages from
> > >   different architectures on a system where it makes sense
> > > * change the naming of the libraries, for example by adding '64' to the
> > >   64bit version of a library
> > >
> > > That way you could do something like:
> > >
> > > # echo x86-64 >> /etc/dpkg/legal-archs
> > > # dpkg -i libgtk2-2.0-1_i386.deb
> > > # dpkg -i lib64gtk2-2.0-1_x8664.deb
> >
> > To my untrained eye, this seems an excellent and very general solution.
> >
> > As a slight but positive side effect, it also seems to open the way to
> > per-CPU optimized library versions; if you have a 686, you add 686 (or
> > 686-cmov) to /etc/dpkg/legal-archs, and can install either
> >
> > libssl0.9.6-0.9.6c-2_i386.deb or
> > libssl0.9.6-0.9.6c-2_i686.deb;
> >
> > on a x86-64 you'd have the choice between those same two plus
> >
> > libssl0.9.6-0.9.6c-2_x8664.deb
>
> Please note the
> wiggy> * change the naming of the libraries, for example by adding '64' to
> wiggy> the 64bit version of a library
>
> Your above examples all have the same package name, just for a different
> architecture. AFAICT, this is exactly what Wichert wanted to avoid.

Yes, sorry, the last .deb name should have been
lib64ssl0.9.6-0.9.6c-2_x8664.deb; it's a different package altogether,
and applications need an explicit dependency on it. The other two were
correct; the package name is the same, they conflict inherently, and
applications cannot specify any particular dependency.  The positive
side of that is that the rollout of CPU optimized versions of library
can happen without having to change depending applications in any way.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl