Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> > ncurses-base
> > ncurses-bin
> Are these just to support dselect, should dselect be essential ?

dselect/dpkg in 1.10 have been split.  dpkg 1.10 predepends on dselect 1.10,
to support upgrades.

> > e2fsprogs
> not essential for people who dont have an ext2 (or 3?) filesystem

Interesting point, now that xfs/rieserfs are seeing more and more usage.

> > perl-base
> just because :)

I have plans to remove perl dependencies from dpkg(rewriting in c).  Wichert
has plans to convert dpkg-dev to python(this won't affect the embedded
devices, as they aren't developement systems).

> > diff
> diff comes in handy, but why is it essential ?

Because dpkg uses it to handle conffile changes.

> > bash
> A shell is essential, but why cant ash be used instead of bash, maybe it
> should be a virtual package.

Because certain maintainer scripts use bash directly, instead of ash.  I
suppose that would could disallow that for embedded devices, but it could
cause problems.