dpkg problem with status file

After running KPackage yesterday (I just wanted a look), I am now having
problems with dpkg and apt. I am getting an error (1) Unable to parse status
file /var/lib/dpkg/status. I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion from
having a similar problem (yes I do know it could probably be all sorts of
things) or if someone could tell me a bit about what this file should
actually look like (permissions, content, etc). Failing an intuitive insight
which fixes my problem, maybe someone knows of a reasonably in depth document
which might help me to figure this out (is there a dpkg-HOWTO?, the apt-get
one doesn't get into the sort of info I'm looking for).

Thanks,

Peter.