Re: prelink cron script

Joey,
    Read...

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2002-10/msg00089.html

There really should be no problem with the checksum issue once
security programs are modified to be prelink saavy.
    One would never distribute prelinked binaries. For one, the
values set for the prelinking would be meaningless for anyone's
machine. One would only prelink after local installation of
a package. You can prelink a debian sid machine as follows...

1) install glibc 2.3 built from the debian glibc cvs sources
2) install libelfg0 0.82 with patches (I have a debian bug report
   in for this to be upgraded to prelink compatibility).
3) install a prelink package (Chris Chimelis is going to handle
   adding prelink to sid I believe).

You would then run 'prelink -av' which would use the directories
set in /etc/prelink.conf to scan for libraries and binaries to
prelink. After that, if any of those libs are reinstalled one
has to re-prelink them and any binaries that use them. Keep in
mind if the prelinking goes stale from an upgrade nothing breaks...
prelinking just isn't used and the relocations happen like before.
   The only problem currently is that prelinking is rather slow.
Jakub sees this as being done in the background as a weekly
cronjob (with the -av option which does a complete prelink of
all dirs listed in /etc/prelink.conf). For something like debian
sid with lots of churn though, we might want apt-get to automatically
collate a list of installed files for dist-upgrade's and such and
at the end of that task thread off a call to prelink with that
list of binaries and libs passed as arguments. I think Debian will
have special needs compared to RedHat since we have a much much
higher churn rate of packages in sid.
                              Jack