Re[3]: Problem with Downgrade of dpkg

Hello Adam Heath,

at Dienstag, 10. September 2002, 23:13 you wrote:

>> This leads to a separate and optional dselect package, does it?
>> Why then a
>> # dpkg -r dselect --force-all
>> is not possible?

> Because dpkg needs to support upgrades done by dselect.  Dselect needs to
> always be in a working state in these cases.

> This pre-depends will be removed in a future release of debian.

Thank You for the answer. I solved the problem already with some help from
the list. It *is* possible to remove dselect separately, but my silly
mistake was to have the --force switches *after* the package name.
With

# dpkg --force-overwrite -r dselect
# dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.9.21_i386.deb

it was possible to
downgrade dpkg, a apt-get upgrade does the rest of the job.

Thank You very much, great help from this list
Dieter Tremel