Bug report: dpkg

Hi,

After 3 days of messing around with reinstalling, installing, etc. I've found
the bug I was dealing with was actually generated by dpkg (or one of the
components dpkg uses).

---
Symptoms:

Endless loop, generating errors on every --configure attempt:

Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 16
Use of uninitialized value in split at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm
line 20.

Solution:

There has to be someting in the /etc/debconf.conf file. With other words:
check if you can make a substitution before attempting to do so.
---

I hope this will do.

Grtz:
  Stefan.