highly touted package management tools vs. modem user

Well, my conclusion about Debian's highly touted package management
system in regards to mostly offline modem users is: being that those
working in the Debian Towers all have snazzy net connections, at least
certainly those working on the elite apt team, they'll never know the
frustrations incurred by those who's items in /etc/apt/sources.list
are not all necessarily on line, and also have a woody CDROM set.

Indeed it seems dselect is now right out, never usable again, as it
now asks:
17 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 6310kB of archives. After unpacking 5915kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Ok, never mind that.  I had just used apt-cdrom to restore the CDROMs
after foolishly removing them from sources.list.  Well, at least there
are other tools left.  As you might tell, I feel threatened by all
these tools I don't understand.

Apparently aptitude can somewhat still be used, at least with wwwoffle giving
it http 404's about things i don't want to upgrade anyway.  I have to
repeat the "g" for each CD though.

Wait, there might be neat ways to use this apt stuff with wwwoffle
... but it still would require hand pruning of the things you don't
want from wwwoffle's outgoing list.

OK, we see /usr/share/doc/apt/offline.* , where he again describes a
situation different than mine.  I am rural mountantop with slow
costly phone line and 2 month old woody CD set.  For the Debian
package management tools, they either want you to have just the CD
set, or be connected to the net and not concerned about download
times.

Anyways, the answers posted to my post will be from users who "think
they remember a solution from back when they didn't have their current
snazzy connection" I'm sure.

Ah, just another class struggle where the air conditioned designers
don't understand the little guy.

I mean who would go out of their way to say use a smaller monitor, or
old fashioned connection, etc.

Anyway, my dream is: if something is unreachable, assume I am
offline...  I mean I need a HOWTO for users with a 2 month old CD set,
28 to ~40K modem speed costly brief connection, who only want 5% of the
upgrades, and I suppose only want to "update" once every two weeks.
And in the mean time just browse a list of what's new.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780