Bug#3991: marked as done (dselect has confusing and bizarre interface)
Your message dated Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:20:44 -0400
with message-id <E17OjJUfirstname.lastname@example.org>
and subject line Bug#34942: fixed in dpkg 1.10
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.
This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.
(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere. Please contact me immediately.)
Debian bug tracking system administrator
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)
Received: (at submit) by bugs.debian.org; 1 Aug 1996 22:59:31 +0000
Received: (qmail-queue invoked from smtpd); 1 Aug 1996 22:44:09 -0000
Received: from cartridge.i-connect.net (email@example.com)
by master.debian.org with SMTP; 1 Aug 1996 22:44:09 -0000
Received: (qmail-queue invoked from smtpd); 1 Aug 1996 17:15:13 -0000
Received: from coral.bucknell.edu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
by cartridge.i-connect.net with SMTP; 1 Aug 1996 17:15:12 -0000
Received: from charcoal-gw.eg.bucknell.edu by coral.bucknell.edu; (5.65v3.0/220.127.116.11/29Aug94-0956AM)
id AA27808; Thu, 1 Aug 1996 13:13:51 -0400
Received: by charcoal (5.x/SMI-SVR4)
id AA17717; Thu, 1 Aug 1996 13:13:50 -0400
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 13:13:50 -0400
From: Daniel Quinlan <email@example.com>
Subject: dselect has confusing and bizarre interface
X-Mailer: Emacs 19.30
dselect is more complicated than it needs to be. Anyone who has used
the package selector for RedHat can understand why people like it so
much. I like having a versatile interface such as the one dselect
offers, but it shouldn't be so incompatible keystroke-wise with other
1. A consistent key should be chosen for the `quit' function, to exit
the current task. It's `q' here, space there, and enter there.
Space and enter should do something else. In most applications,
such as `dialog' enter selects, it doesn't quit. Space is also
usually a selection or toggle options, but never exit.
It's really bizarre and confusing that space and enter would do
2. A consistent key(s) should be chosen for the `help'. I suggest F1
and Ctrl-h throughout. (Like DOS or Emacs)
3. Using `/' for search forward makes me want to use `?' to search in
reverse. I hit it often enough to get really frustrated.
(`?' in `less' and `vi')
4. `/' should remember the last search instead of requiring a separate
keystroke, `\'. (`/' in `less' and `vi')
5. The package list browser should not start in help mode. There is a
reason that Emacs has an inhibit-startup-message variable.
6. The EIOM columns are not very intuitive. Remove the short
description (or move it over) since a long one is displayed below
and extend these toggles such that they are understandable.
Received: (at 34942-close) by bugs.debian.org; 30 Jun 2002 18:37:08 +0000
>From firstname.lastname@example.org Sun Jun 30 13:37:08 2002
Received: from auric.debian.org [18.104.22.168] (mail)
by master.debian.org with esmtp (Exim 3.12 1 (Debian))
id 17OjZM-0003bF-00; Sun, 30 Jun 2002 13:37:08 -0500
Received: from rmurray by auric.debian.org with local (Exim 3.12 1 (Debian))
id 17OjJU-0007gp-00; Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:20:44 -0400
From: Wichert Akkerman <email@example.com>
X-Katie: $Revision: 1.17 $
Subject: Bug#34942: fixed in dpkg 1.10
Sender: Ryan Murray <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 14:20:44 -0400
We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
dpkg, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive:
A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed. If you
have further comments please address them to email@example.com,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.
Debian distribution maintenance software
Wichert Akkerman <firstname.lastname@example.org> (supplier of updated dpkg package)
(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing email@example.com)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:53:15 +0200
Binary: dpkg-static dselect dpkg-dev dpkg-doc dpkg
Architecture: source all i386
Maintainer: Dpkg Development <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Changed-By: Wichert Akkerman <email@example.com>
dpkg - Package maintenance system for Debian
dpkg-dev - Package building tools for Debian
dpkg-doc - Dpkg Internals Documentation
dselect - a user tool to manage Debian packages
Closes: 2531 11228 34942 45787 58091 58653 66735 67174 72634 75947 76100 81009 83139 92650 93386 97239 98275 102367 103667 103839 103845 103994 104214 104230 104232 104561 105750 108887 109282 111503 112378 113120 114249 115783 117968 118420 119532 120924 121309 121489 122132 126340 127458 130130 130509 131439 131496 131758 132476 132632 132714 132901 133035 136349 138013 139159 140441 141906 143117 144121 146855 147872 147924
dpkg (1.10) unstable; urgency=low
* dpkg now reorders symlinks when extracting debs. However, this is also
still done when building debs. After a stable release of Debian has
occurred with this modified dpkg, the reordering when building can be
* Fixed upper/lowercase problems with package names. Closes: Bug#58091
(and 3 others).
* Add Russian manual pages
* Fix n in dselect package list (performs searchagain now)
* Fix layout problem in dpkg-divert manpage. Closes: Bug#103667
* When a package is set to hold, and a reinstallation is requested,
-E will not properly skip it. Closes: #45787.
* Make dpkg-checkbuilddeps use dpkg-architecture. Closes: Bug#104230
* Improve dpkg-archtecture documentation. Closes: Bug#104232
* Update German translation. Closes: Bug#97239
* Update Polish translation. Closes: Bug#115783
* Update French translation.
* Update Brazilian translation.
* Update Danish translation.
* Update Galician translation.
* Update Portuguese translations.
* Add Catalan translation
* Add German md5sum manpage
* Add Brazilian update-alternatives manpage. Closes: Bug#122132
* Improve dselect manpage. Closes: Bug#103839
* dpkg-name(1) no longer mentions the non-existing dpkg(5) manpage.
* Improve handling of Recommends and Suggests in dselect. Closes: Bug#34942
* Add per-user configuration files. Closes: Bug#103845
* Split dselect into its own package. dpkg Pre-Depends on it
to make sure no weird things happen during an upgrade but this
will allow us to make dselect option at some point in the future.
* Make colours in dselect user-configurable. Closes: Bug#103994
* Make Q do an abort in the method selection menu to make things more
consistent with the package list
* Fix test for nice(2) failure in start-stop-daemon. Closes: Bug#104561
* Improve the dselect helpscreen a bit. Closes: Bug#72634
* New version comparison routine that can handle arbitrarily large numbers
and accepts `~' as a low-sorting character. Closes: Bug#93386
* dselect now accepts regular expressions when searching for packages
and can search in package descriptions as well.
* Move query commands into a seperate dpkg-query command. For the old options
(-L,-l,-s,-S) dpkg will still call it for you.
* Add configurable package listing support to dpkg-query
* Handle window resize in dselect main menu. Closes: Bug#98275
* update-rc.d moved to the sysvinit package. Closes: Bug#108887,#109282
* Add --showformat and --show options to dpkg-deb and dpkg-query to
allow one to customize the output format
* several install-info cleanups:
* Move /usr/info/dir to /usr/share/info/dir. Closes: #67174.
* If /usr/share/info doesn't exist, print a message saying so,
instead of the confusing "couldn't lock" error. Closes: #2531.
* If /usr/share/info/dir doesn't exist, or is empty, try to copy the
backup from /var/backups/infodir.bak. Closes: #121309.
* Add a --remove-exactly option, and allow for relative filenames.
* Use the section from the .info file if --section is not given.
* Error messages now include the filename being processed.
* /usr/share/info/dir now has it's entries formatted to even widths.
* --calign|--align|--maxwidth are now ignored.
* strip enoent as well. Closes: Bug#112378
* Fix format error in Dutch translation. Closes: Bug#113120
* When parsing stdin, md5sum now displays '-' as the filename, to match
textutils md5sum. Closes: #121489.
* Apply patch from bug, to give update-alternatives a --list command.
* Make dpkg-checkbuilddeps always check for build-essential.
* Use space seperated output instead of comma seperated in
* Update default ignore expression in dpkg-source to also match *~ and
*.swp in subdirs. Closes: Bug#127458
* Handle errors when verifying md5sums. Closes: Bug#102367
* dpkg-source now uses reliable timestamps for changed files.
* Fix typo in start-stop-daemon help message. Closes: Bug#131439
* update-alternative exits with a non-zero exit code when displaying
a non-existing alternative. Closes: Bug#131496
* Use gzip -c in install-info. Closes: Bug#131758
* start-stop-daemon works on HP-UX now. Closes: Bug#130130
* Fix dselect spin when run without input. Closes: Bug#132476
* Update-alternatives now correctly restores an alternative to auto mode
when removing a manually selected alternative. Closes: Bug#132632
* Copy bugs and origin information into status file. Closes: Bug#132714
* Improve wording of update-alternatives --config text. Closes: Bug#133035
* Add manpages for dpkg.cfg and dselect.cfg. Closes: Bug#132901
* Improve test for illegal packagename for dpkg-gencontrol -p option
* Fix segfault when getenv("PATH") returns null. Closes: Bug#136349
* Add Large File Summit extensions. Closes: Bug#130509
* Fix typo in dpkg-source manpage. Closes: Bug#141906
* Re-fix handling of multiple blank lines in control. Closes: Bug#143117
* Document --force-confmiss and --force-bad-verify. Closes: Bug#146855
* Drop upgrade compat stuff in dpkg postinst for ancient versions (over
5 years old)
* Always set CLOEXEC on the lock fd. Closes: Bug#147872
* Clean up tmp files when ctrl-c is sent to dpkg-source. Closes:
* dpkg-source no longer requires exact case matches for fields in
debian/control. Closes: Bug#139159.
* dpkg-scanpackages now gives proper case for Source and Installed-Size.
* dpkg-architecture: s/build on/built on/; same for 'build for'.
* cl-debian.pl now recognizes emergency as valid in changelogs.
* Properly count recursive expansion of variables, instead of just
counting all variable expansions. Closes: #144121.
* Add -I<filename> to dpkg-buildpackage and dpkg-source, to excludes
files from tar, when building a native package. Closes: Bug#75947.
* Close the old debian/files file, before doing a rename. Closes:
* Fix documentation of -v<version> for dpkg-parsechangelog, removing the
requirement that the version has to be in the changelog. Closes:
* Fix typo in dpkg-source(1), s/-su/-sU/. Closes: Bug#126340.
* Add dpkg-scansources to dpkg-scanpackages(8). Closes: Bug#147924.
* Change /usr/info into a symlink to /usr/share/info if possible
df7d1380dde0d2b980421489e3ae8ea6 1354 base required dpkg_1.10.dsc
dce6fc650eb8343b03acacfac722b094 1623580 base required dpkg_1.10.tar.gz
cd1dbe55ff166971d591c9404e6905f6 1166408 base required dpkg_1.10_i386.deb
5c8a6950c9708044fe4d527e58b4ba18 80244 base required dselect_1.10_i386.deb
c8dab8d95d390d0d485e00db3c846c0f 1155281 byhand - dpkg-1.10_i386.nondebbin.tar.gz
f78567b6a153a00b24551fb1d9d24b9e 1321299 byhand - dpkg-1.10_i386-static.nondebbin.tar.gz
46e139f4860f978c4d9c9d0aee43f426 111386 utils standard dpkg-dev_1.10_all.deb
0fcdf112e49159b1128054603a895cd9 10718 doc optional dpkg-doc_1.10_all.deb
dce6fc650eb8343b03acacfac722b094 1623580 byhand - dpkg-1.10.tar.gz
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact email@example.com