Re: updating GID owner of directories

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 02:51:34PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Robert Millan wrote:
> > GID of /tmp was 1000 and hasn't been updated. I guess this is a bug
> > but i'm not sure if this is the expected behaviour, could you
> > clarify this?
> It is expected and normal behaviour. dpkg only sets the uid/gid of
> a directory when creating it. After that the adminsitrator is free
> to change ownership.

mmh.. maybe it'd be better to update it automaticaly and let the
admin use dpkg-divert? as it is now, packages that had wrong
permission/owners in directories need to use postinst to fix them.

Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992