Re: printversion could be more translation-friendly

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> At this moment people are already working on finalizing the translations
> for 1.10 so this would be a bad moment to change a bunch of important
> strings through the source. If that makes your life a bit harder now,
> so be it.

Agreed, I *never* said this issue had to be solved for 1.10.

> > BTW: This is not the only place a fprintf is used in dpkg code. I wonder
> > if all the other ocurrences are "wrong" as well.
>
> dpkg is extremely careful about such things. If you think you know a
> place where it doesn't properly check if output is done correctly let us
> know and we'll investigate.

In the same main/main.c file, the output of dpkg --help is done by a
fprintf which is nearly identical to the one I proposed for dpkg --version,
and there is no fflush after it.

[ In *both* cases the program terminates just after showing the message,
  and also the string is \n-terminated ].