Re: state of dpkg

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
>
> > Is there any roadmap as to what will happen to dpkg after woody [1]? Why
> > I'm asking:
> >
> > The dpkg package has *way* too many bugs. This, among other things, makes
> > it hard to honestly fill bugs against dpkg because one has to wade through
> > 453 (!) bugs to see if the bug in question has allready been filled.
> >
> > Is there any plan, statement or document out there as to how this should
> > be attacked (new version in the shelves, call for developpers, ??) ?
> > If there is any such thing, would it be possible to post such a statement
> > on -devel too since I guess the state and the plans for dpkg is of every
> > developper's interests.
>
> Have you checked cvs?

No, it's location doesn't seem to be mentioned neither in "dpkg*.deb" nor
in "apt-get source dpkg" and google wouldn't help me either.

I knew though that there was one, which is partly why I'm asking: is the
CVS used for adding features and moving dpkg on or just for fixing bugs
(as I would naively expect before a freeze).

>  Do you see all the bugs that are pending?

Yes. Are these the bugs that will be fixed by the next upload or are they
fixed in some unstable dpkg CVS (see my uninformed ideas above).

> No, there is no roadmap.  I don't find the bug list too long.

Estimating 2s for a (dpkg-devel-)outsider to verify against one
bugreport that'd make it 15 minutes to scan through all of the messages.
See also http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2002/debian-dpkg-200203/msg00014.html.

*t

     Tomas Pospisek
     sourcepole    -   Linux & Open Source Solutions
     http://sourcepole.com
     Elestastrasse 18,  7310 Bad Ragaz,  Switzerland
     Tel:+41 (81) 330 77 13,  Fax:+41 (81) 330 77 12