Re: Question: Can dpkg relocate package

Yes,

I can convert the .rpm to .deb with alien and that works okay, but the scripts that run before and after install/uninstall don't run with dpkg. So I've decided that I'm better off
just creating Debian packages. But now I can't find out how I would go about
installing somewhere other than the default location. I'm even a bit sketchy on specifying the default install location. For example, if I wanted to install in /opt by default would I just create a directory structure /opt/myProgram? And if the user wants to install
it somewhere else, is there an option for this?

Thanks