Re: dpkg-scanlibs

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 07:30:22AM -0600, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > That is exactly my point -- every editor / personal setting will be different
> > as to how many spaces a tab represents.  There are many programs floating
> > around (3 are shipped *with* Python) to convert tabs to N spaces (if your
> > editor uses tabs).  In my editor of choise, FTE, I turn tabs off. When I smack
> > tab, it inserts 2 spaces, or 4, or however many I want.
>
> When I press TAB in vi, it inserts a TAB character.  Not 2 or 4 or 8 spaces.
> If you are using an editor that inserts spaces when you press TAB, then IMHO
> you are using a broken editor.

Or you have a broken mailer for only sending to debian-devel.
(Note: sarcasm -- not a real criticism)
Note the "I turn tabs off" above.  The editor isn't broken, your parsing
of my sentence is.

Anyway, let's let this die here.
It's not about editors.
It's not about software.
It's about a suggestion I made to another person, believing that, in my
experience, tabs in Python cause only trouble.  Wichert chooses to use tabs.
That's fine!  I just wanted to make sure he knew he was consciously doing so.
Using tabs in other languages don't matter -- in python, it does.
I spoke to Wichert in irc and he is going to use tabs and I don't have a
(big enough) problem with that to make a big deal out of it -- I've been
doing Python long enough and with enough frequency to note that in my
experience tabs have caused me problems, specifically when I edit other
people's code.  Be it in vi, fte, emacs, or using dd and writing bytes into
a file on disk.

I can't stress this enough -- anybody that thinks this is about editors is
itching for a fight -- you might ask well criticize my window manager, my mouse,
my pets, and all the other things that I choose.

--
"We all enter this world in the same way: naked; screaming; soaked in
blood. But if you live your life right, that kind of thing doesn't have

Jon Nelson
jnelson@boa.org