Re: package date in .deb

On 17-Dec-01, 07:58 (CST), Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > It would be very useful (IMO) to have it in a place that allows it to
> > be put in the packages file and/or on the website. Having to install
> > a package (or grope around on the ftp site) to see how old it is is
> > tedious.
>
> ar p foo.deb data.tar.gz | tar zxf - ./usr/share/doc/foo/changelog.Debian.gz | less

I didn't make myself clear. I want to be able to see the date
the package was built in the Packages file (so it can show up in
dselect/aptitued/et. al. )and/or on the pages at packages.debian.org.
When I'm making a choice about which of several functionally similar
packages to install, I prefer to avoid three year packages with a
version number of 0.0.1 -- I can be pretty sure they aren't maintained.
Even more useful is would be access to the changelog w/o downloading the
whole .deb (There used to be a "view changlog" link on the package web
pages, but it never[1] worked and has disappeared.)

I know how to find out once I've got the .deb. But downloading emacs to
read the changelog is pretty tedious.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland