Re: Automating dpkg-reconfigure answers via a shell script

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously VALETTE Eric wrote:
> > A) Is there a better command than "dselect install" to start
> > installation of pacakges. At leat one where I could specify to use all
> > the defaults value for package first installation? (a la apt-get
> > --assume-yes)
>
> the --set-selection trick with dselect install is a good way to
> copy the list of pacakges. For package configuration you could
> copy the debconf database from the other machine, or look at
> cdebconf which from what I remember has bits of multiple database
> support.

Erm, debconf has complete multiple database support, and has had it for
half a year now. What Eric wants to do is, of course, quite doable in a
wide variety of ways:

* Seed a debconf database before hand on another machine and copy it
  over before installing on the other machine.

* Have debconf use a database NFS-mounted from elsewhere, overlaid over
  top of a local database with the Stack driver, so writes go to the
  local database, and the NFS-mounted database doesn't always have to be
  available.

* Use a different debconf backend database driver, like the Pipe driver,
  to get debconf to read in a database on stdin when it starts up.

* Use debconf-communicate (in a script) to seed values for questions
  however you like before running debconf, overriding the defaults.

* Use the Pipe driver in conjunction with a regular database and a
  database stack to make debconf read in values on stdin at startup to
  override whatever's in the file.

* Write your own database driver module (not very hard) to query a
  remote database for configuration values.

You want to start by reading debconf.conf(5).

--
see shy jo