dpkg-buildpackage "-m" doesn't work

I'm trying to build the hello package, and testing of the -m or -e flags indicates that it does not work.  All I've done is this:

mkdir hello && cd hello
apt-get source hello
cd hello-1.3
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -m"someone@somewhere.org"
dpkg-deb -f ../*.deb Maintainer
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org>

I've tried various syntax to fix this, but to no avail.  Am I doing something wrong, does the hello package not support this feature, or is there something else going on?  I've looked at the docs, but everything seems to tell me that I'm doing things correctly.  dpkg is version 1.9.17.  If I modify the control file directly, then the maintainer does change.  Thanks in advance.