Re: ddts: notification about pt_BR-translation of the hello-debhelper description

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:13:35PM +0200, Radovan Garabik wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 12:00:42PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
>
> > If we talk about translation, this is not a big problem. You must only
> > use gettext all the time. Maybe we can throw away the 'maintainer
> > name' problem with this. (You know it: maintainer fields with
> > ÖÄÜöüüßåñïééõú... in the name.)
> >
> > We need only one .po file, like this
> >  msgid "Werner Mueller <werner@debian.org>"
> >  megstr "Werner Mülller <werner@debian.org>"
> > And the german User see the 'right' Name of this maintainer all the
> > time.
>
> except that I would suggest to do it the other way round, having
> the proper full name as original, and individual languages
> will transform the name according to their established charset.
> (So that all latin 1 and latin 2 languages does not need to translate
> the proper form Werner Müller, but latin 2 languages will
> ASCIIfy Javier Fernandez-Sanguino Peña into Pena, and koi8-r
> languages (russian) will use ASCII only form of both)

this is ok.

This was not a proposal. it was only a first thought and should show,
that gettext can make more (and not only Descriptions...)

Gruss
Grisu
"We just typed make..."   -- (Stephen Lambrigh, Director of Server Product
                  Marketing at Informix about porting their Database to Linux)