Re: DEBIAN/control vs debian/control

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 04:44:02PM -0400, David Becker wrote:
> I upgraded to woody and can't get dpkg-deb to build packages
> from source.  My dpkg-deb is now 1.9.16 (i386).
>
> The error is:
> 	dpkg-deb: failed to open package info file `openssh-2.5.2p2/DEBIAN/control' for reading: No such file or directory
>

> There is a debian/control file, but no all caps DEBIAN/control file.
> If I rename debian to DEBIAN, dpkg-deb complains about syntax errors
> in the control file.
>
> Is there a secret handshake to make dpkg-deb work with the lower case
> "debian/control"?

You shouldn't be using dpkg-deb to build packages directly unless you're
really very familiar with what's going on, and even then you'll probably
only use it manually when debugging a build, if that. Use
dpkg-buildpackage instead.

(debian/rules constructs a filesystem tree, usually in debian/tmp or
debian/<package-name>, and then uses dpkg-deb to pack that into a .deb.
That tree includes various kinds of control information in the DEBIAN
directory.)

You should probably ask further questions of this kind on the
debian-mentors mailing list.