Re: making own dep packages

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 10:59:06AM +0100, Grischa Schuering wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we customized a new apache-ssl deb package, by adding a module called
> zmod to it. We need this module here in Germany for statistical
> analysis.
> Now every time a new apache-ssl version (or security fix) is available
> our package is overwritten by apt-get dist-upgrade utility.
>
> What is the common way naming the custom versions of packages (or
> version number... etc), so that the package won't be auto-updated ???

There are at least two approaches.

One is to put the package on hold.  Apt will respect this, I believe.
You can do this in dselect, or you can echo "apache-ssl hold" | dpkg
--set-selections.

ALternatively, you can set the version of your package to have an
epoch, e.g 1:2.0.  That will make it later than any package without an
epoch (the bit before the :).

Thirdly, you can probably use the features of the new apt (0.5?) which
can do trciks like this, maybe,.

HTH

Jules