Re: dpkg 1.8.3.1, fixes sparc sigbus

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 12:58:21AM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Ben Collins wrote:
> > Ok, here's the patch I am going to commit to the v1_8 branch.
>
> Please commit that to HEAD instead of v1_8, it's too big a chance
> for v1_8 imho.

So were a lot of things that Adam did, but they made 1.8. Anyway, I just
did two huge updates on i386 and sparc using this patch, and had zero
errors.

At the very least, it is more sane and stable that what is there now.
The only thing that the code now does is try to do block allocation and
pass it out to callers. Asking for trouble, as we have already seen.
This is simpler, and easier to maintain, with less change of messing up.

I haven't commited it yet, since I'm also working on other speedups and
simplifications. I will commit all of this to HEAD, since I think it
needs to go together.

Ben