Re: Dynamic registration of files to packages

On 20-Nov-00, 09:06 (CST), Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
> Mirror as in duplicate, separately. Something like:
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/
> 	base-passwd.extrafiles:
> 		/etc/passwd
> 	dpkg.extrafiles:
> 		/etc/alternatives/*
> 	nvi.extrafiles:
> 		/usr/bin/vi
> 	vim.extrafiles:
> 		/usr/bin/vi

So if I had both vim and nvi installed, what does dpkg -S /usr/bin/vi
return? The advantage of a "dpkg-register" is that update-alternatives
could call it too. Another (very small) advantage is that it could write
to one file, which could be searched all at once rather than having to
open each *.extrafiles file. Dpkg -S is already slow enough. :-)

steve

--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read