Re: new fields in debian/control

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 02:33:34PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> Successor-Of:
> As far as I know, a package isn't upgraded if it's name has changed
> (e.g. fvwm2 -> fvwm or cdgrab -> abcde). This field is meant for this case
> (the new package is "Successor-Of" the old package). There must't be more
> than one successor of a package, and dpkg/apt should treat a package with
> this field as if it still has the name it has before when upgrading.

This has been proposed many times, including by me.  At one point I tried
to convince Jason Gunthorpe of it.  He started burning black candles, drew
a thaumaturgic circle around himself, and mumbled something about it making
the task apt's problem-resolver NP-complete.

But I'd like to stand in support of this request, nevertheless.  If it
really is Impossible to Implement Without Breaking Our Package System,
it would be nice if someone would write up an official statement of why.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    The key to being a Southern Baptist:
Debian GNU/Linux                |    It ain't a sin if you don't get caught.