Re: FW: Re: help: shlibs problem

On Sunday 24 December 2000 16:36, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 24, 2000 at 09:29:00AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > However, if objdump lists a library that ldd can't find the path for, and
> > the library is mentioned in debian/shlibs.local, isn't it reasonable for
> > dpkg-shlibdeps to assume that this local library is the one it's looking
> > for? After all, passing LD_LIBRARY_PATH to ldd doesn't help the fact that
> > we still have to go to debian/shlibs.local to find the binary package
> > name.  Why not suppress the warning, since it's pretty much meaningless
> > in this case?
> >
> > Further, the man page says that the debian/shlibs.local file has higher
> > precedence than shlibs listings for installed packages.  So even if ldd
> > /does/ find a library with the same soname belonging to an installed
> > package, it should still use the dependency name from shlibs.local,
> > correct?
>
> IIRC, shlibs.local isn't needed in this case, because we use
> ldd/objdump. IOW, it will simply know that the library is contained in
> the package, and ignore the self-dep. To be honest, I think shlibs.local
> isn't need at all now, because dpkg-shlibdeps even checks
> debian/*/DEBIAN/shlibs aswell.

Maybe dpkg-shlibdeps checks 'debian/*/DEBIAN/shlibs' but still not determined
a shared library provided by given package (or the warning appears by mistake
only). Only passing LD_LIBRARY_PATH with a proper path ('debian/*/usr/lib')
to dh_shlibdeps can suppress this warning at this moment.

--
Mariusz Przygodzki        |  Good judgement comes from experience.
dune@home.pl              |  Experience comes from bad judgement.