Re: New field proposed, UUID

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:43:51 -0500, Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 05:08:22PM -0500, Itai Zukerman wrote:
> > I would prefer that *any* modification to a .deb increment its
> > version.
>
> That would be bad. Do that and then the Packages file needs regenerating,
> the package needs to be re-signed by everyone, and things will get upgraded,
> and apt[1] will redownload it all over again, just because of something
> changing like an internal signature by the archive maintainer (think
> signing all packages for a release).

But this happens now all the time anyway.  This isn't a *real*
example, but it could happen that: I find myself downloading all the X
.debs because the maintainer decides to make a minor dependency
change.  If you really want to solve this problem, seperate the
meta-data out into a seperate component, or do a sane diff format for
upgrades, or something.

-itai