dpkg: Fails to install packages if one package's .list file is broken

Hello
This bug (#47839) is now open for over a year, Matthew Gregan
wrote:

"My /var/lib/dpkg/info/ncurses-bin.list somehow became corrupted
recently, which has prevented me from installing packages (including
reinstalling ncurses-bin to fix the problem). In the end I had to ftp
the package, and 'tar ztf data.tar.gz > ncurses-bin.list', then edit
that by hand to make it correct, and place it in /var/lib/dpkg/info.

Dpkg should be able to recover somehow, if the package is still
available in the cache. Some kind of --force-reinstall which
overwrites the currently installed package, except dpkg is failing
before it gets to the stage where that would work. Or maybe an option
to regenerate corrupted .list files from the cached packages - dpkg -C
didn't pick up any problems when I ran it, which seems weird to be, if
the install part of dpkg can't do anything."

Well, through some weird reiserfs-problem, I got _all_ my .list-files
padded with 0x00 at the end. And can't reinstall anything without fixing
1773 .list-files. So I'd really appreciate if that bug either got fixed,
(and installing dpkg with tar...) or if you know a way to strip out that
padding out of those files.

BTW: I guess checking every and all .list-file is the _main_ problem
of dpkg's lousy performance. Is this really, really necessary?

Cheers
Peter
--
Peter Keel, Unix System Administrator Tel +41 1 287 2992
Cyberlink Internet Services AG        Fax +41 1 287 2991