Re: Can I use dpkg -i to install in /usr/local or /opt?

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 08:27:52AM +0200, J.A. Bezemer wrote:

> dpkg --root=dir/ --force-non-root ? (Not tested, just from the manpage)
> Or maybe fakeroot can help.

i think the problem was the fact that pre/post isnt scripts are not
aware of --root=dir  (this actually invokes chroot() i think, which
will always fail for anyone but real root)

> Is this also the way the Base System is made by the boot-floppies package?

they use chroot() iirc.

> And we also have dpkg-deb -x file.deb dir/ for the dirty non-managed
> extraction-only things.

ar -x and tar -zxpf also work, but its alot of work for say emacs...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/