Re: new fields in debian/control

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 02:33:34PM +0200, Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de> was heard to say:
> Successor-Of:
> As far as I know, a package isn't upgraded if it's name has changed
> (e.g. fvwm2 -> fvwm or cdgrab -> abcde). This field is meant for this case
> (the new package is "Successor-Of" the old package). There must't be more
> than one successor of a package, and dpkg/apt should treat a package with
> this field as if it still has the name it has before when upgrading.

  This is useful (IMO, and not just because I want dselect moved out of the
dpkg package >=) ), but one question: why only one successor?  I don't see
this as making the algorithms much easier, and it seems like there are times
where you'd *want* multiple successors; eg, when a big package splits into
a gazillion itty-bitty packages (netbase, netstd, .....)

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|       The sigfile hits!       |       "...drums...drums in the deep!"       |