Re: Proposal new source archive format

On Sun, Apr 30, 2000 at 03:27:46PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> We've had a couple of discussions about shortcomings of the way
> we currently implement source packages, and the various ways to
> work around it. To summarise, the shortcomings of the current system
> are:
>
> * can not handle multiple tar archives
> * can not handle seperate patches
> * can not handle bzip2 compressed files
> * can not handle binary files
> * can not handle .sig files for upstream distributed files
 * cannot handle things not distributed as tarballs

There are more than a few packages out there which do evil things to
archives which are not in normal tar.gz/tar.bz2 format to make them fit
the Debian profile of a source package.  I'd rather use the pristine
upstream source where it's reasonable.

If this very basic thing is left out of any attempt to make the source
format more flexible to prevent hackish custom build systems, you're going
to find that you don't really eliminate the problem.

<LauraDax> !seen god
<Tabi-> LauraDax, I don't remember seeing "god"