dpkg-1.6.1: Ack!

(I'm not yet on thist list, please include my address in replies.)

Hello all,

I recently finished writing the initial version of Storm Package Manager,
which (as it currently stands) is based on libdpkg's interface.  The
Storm Linux CD contents was sent for duplication yesterday, including
this work.  This morning I ran a package update on my potato installation
to find that libdpkg and the dpkg header files have disappeared!

Is this a temporary thing or bug, or has the decision been made to remove
the interface for good?  ...I am hoping not.

My project is entirely open-source (GPL), and the work I have done so far
is available here:

ftp://ftp.stormix.com/storm/dists/rain/main/source/sl-stormpkg*

Please, feel free to take a look at it!  It requires gtk and gnome, and
dpkg-dev (but I developed it with dpkg-1.4.1.19, dpkg-1.6.1 removes the
interfaces I was using).

I decided to use libdpkg over libapt because I am not familiar with C++,
and libapt seems to be making use of C++ heavily.  Being relatively new
to Debian and dpkg as well (I used to use Slackware..eek :)), I only
recently noticed that APT seems to now be the preferred interface.  Are
there any libapt C interfaces in the works, or am I stuck between a rock
and a hard place?

...Also, is this a list I can subscribe to, or just an internal list of
people involved?  I'd definitely like to get involved as much as possible
so I can track what's happening and avoid things like this happening in
the future.

Thanks in advance,

Simon-

[  Stormix Technologies Inc.  ][  NetNation Communcations Inc.  ]
[       sim@stormix.com       ][       sim@netnation.com        ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]