Re: Compiling dpkg on a non-debian system

> > aclocal: configure.in: 93: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
> > aclocal: configure.in: 112: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
>
> You need to have libtool and gettext installed as well.

That's not so easy... it will suppress the LIBTOOL problem but not the
GETTEXT.
AM_... are macros for automake. libtool provides its AM macro.
But I never had a AM_GNU_GETTEXT macro...

dpkg goes very deep and reach a low level.
Until a real port is available (touching the code and not only installation
macros) you may have quite a lot of problems... ncurses, gettext,
problem when linking the c and c++ parts together in dselect, or stuff
like no ldconfig on Solaris, vsnprintf symbol defined in libc solaris 2.5
but is bugged...

Where to look then?
(I'm exactely in your position Christian Czezatke)

-> keep on looking here a port will show up
-> ftp://marcus.seva.net/pub/debian
    a port to Solaris 2.6 (hopefully higher) thanks to Ben Collins

Good luck.

PS: I was also not quite happy with rpm port.
PS: I'm sorry to only complain instead of doing the work.