Displaying 8-bit characters

I'm trying to use my [incomplete :)] translation with dselect.  At the moment,
the only displayable phrases are in main menu (access, update, etc).  Everything
Russian on select screen does not look Russian at all: all words get converted
to pseudographics etc.  This was the problem with 1.4.1.*, it's the problem with
1.6.  Please advise what to do.

Thanks,

--
Mike

PS  FYI,

-- System Information
Debian Release: potato
Kernel Version: Linux despair 2.2.12 #3 Tue Nov 18 23:50:19 MSK 1999 i686 unknown

Versions of the packages dpkg depends on:
ii  libc6           2.1.2-10       GNU C Library: Shared libraries and timezone
ii  libncurses4     4.2-3.4        Shared libraries for terminal handling