Re: case handling of package names in "available" and "status" files

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Udi Meiri wrote:

> I just wanted to let you know that there is a small and insignificant bug in
> dpkg/dselect. If I am correct, dpkg/dselect create the /var/lib/dpkg/status
> file. There is one package named "Eterm" with a capitol "E". In the "available"

I looked at this once, it is actually quasi-random, it picks the casing of
the first mention of the package (dependencies count!) So that form of the
name is used consistently throughout the status file, but on different
systems the same package will have different case.

It is important to ignore case when doing name compares.

Jason