Possible solution for Bug 7065

Dear Maintainers!

I just had the same problem with ´tya´ and ´jdk1.1´.

The problem is allready described at:
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/70/7056.html

Dselect runs dpkg -i <package>. This also runs the configuration script
of <package>.
If an error occurs because of a missing package which is intended to be
installed in another branch (e.g. non-free),
it just will return an error and make dselect stop.
So the user has to install the 'contrib' and 'non-free' ... packages by
himself, before running dselect.

THIS IS NOT A GOOD WAY FOR AN EASY INSTALLATION. Some users may not be
interested in the internals of dselect or dpkg. They just want to
install DEBIAN. If a user hangs on this problem, he may go to SUSe or
RH.

Solution:
All packages are installed only by dselect menu entry 'install'. They
are not configured at this time. A special dpkg-flag may be needed for
this too. Then later when running the dselect menu entry 'configure' all
packages are configured with ´dpkg --pending --configure´.

Maybe 'apt' can cope with this problem better than 'dselect', but I´m
used to 'deselect'.

Thank you so far for this great system.

--
Thomas Janke
student at "university of applied sciences" - (FHTW-Berlin)