Debian Release Critical Bugs Query

Hello.

As you may have already noticed, Wichert Akkerman and Richard Braakman
(our leader and release manager) have decided to maintain the list of
the release critical bug reports open for all packages now in our unstable
distribution (potato). Release critical bugs are those that have priority
of "important", "critical", and "grave". All of these bugs have to be dealt
with before we release Debian 2.2.  This can be done by fixing the bug,
or by determining that the bug is not release-critical or not a bug at
all, or by removing the package from potato before release.

The list is currently functional on this URL:

	http://master.debian.org/~wakkerma/bugs/

Together with the bug number, short description and the name of the package
involved, we are preparing a paragraph of information about each bug,
describing what is being done to deal with it and who is doing it, and
particularly where help is needed. We think this will help the project
focus on what needs to be done to get potato released.

For that reason, I would like your comments about some of these bugs:

Package: dpkg (main).
   1797 upgrade/downgrade dependency calculation problem
   9771 install-info name conflict
  17624 dpkg: installs regular dir when .deb contains symlink !
  21182 dpkg: dpkg can go into an infinite loop with --force-configure-any
  28519 dpkg: creates circular symlinks [POSSIBLE WORKAROUND]
  28817 dpkg takes no care over libdpkg
  30090 weirdass dpkg coredumps and xbase upgrade insanity
  33618 dpkg: most recent hamm version, but *multiple* packages insist it be upgraded!
  36385 consensus on stuff left to be fixed in slink
  40700 dpkg: Resizing dselect in xterm or rxvt causes crash

Package: dpkg-dev (main).
  25405 xpm: builds libc5 package on powerpc

We have made a list of questions that may help you give us quality
information. Of course, this is not intended to be any kind of
interrogation, but we would appreciate your input.

  In your opinion, are these reports really bugs, and release-critical?

  Do you think it is reasonable to release potato without these packages,
  if the bugs cannot be fixed in time?

  Do you have a time estimate for when you can deal with these bugs?

  Could you use help?  Do you need specific tasks to be done by others?
  Will you mind if a non-maintainer upload is made to fix these bugs?

Please note: The information you send me will be sent to a public list.

A bit of context may be useful.  I plan to categorize the bugs as follows:

   [FIX] describes a simple step to deal with the bug, which only needs to
   be executed.  For example, "install version foo-1.0 which is currently
   in incoming", or "this bug isn't release-critical, it can be downgraded".

   [STRATEGY] describes an approach for fixing the bug, which is currently
   being implemented.  Mainly it lets the other developers know what is
   going on.

   [HELP] indicates that assistance is needed to fix this bug.  This can
   be a specific request or a general call.

Thanks,

Josip Rodin
on behalf of the Release Manager

--
enJoy -*/\*- pronounced 'iosip', or simply 'joseph'