This is not a bug in base-files.

reassign 39359 dpkg
thanks

Josip Rodin <jrodin@public.srce.hr> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 12:59:05AM +0900, Keita Maehara wrote:
> > If we remove /usr/info/dir (I've experienced this twice by accident),
> > all packages which use install-info will fail. And they falls into a
> > very bad state complaining "install-info: failed to lock dir for
> > editing! No such file or directory". We cannot install/remove them any
> > more.
> >
> > I've repaired it by invoking /var/lib/dpkg/info/base-files.postinst,
> > but the current install-info method/system should be robuster.
>
> This indicates that the bug is not in info, but in either base-files
> or in dpkg, which include base-files.postinst and install-info,
> respectively. I am reassigning the bug with this message.

base-files.postinst creates a new `dir' file if there is none, so I think
this is already robust enough on the base-files side (unless you want
base-files to install a daemon which checks this every minute and repairs
it :-)

I think this is the typical "don't do that, then" case, but I will let
the dpkg maintainers to decide about it.

Thanks.

--
 "d22b14be98f61117bd21f9167206a7e7" (a truly random sig)